Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Elton John wants to adopt Ukrainian orphan



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Elton says he's worried that England doesn't have an adoption agreement with the Ukraine. But just as troublesome, some foreign adoption agencies don't like letting gays adopt. I know when I was in Sweden, I was told that even though gay marriage is now legal there, adoption is still a problem because local adoption agencies tell gays that the foreign countries won't send their children if the adoptive parent is gay. Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me, but still, that too could be an issue.

The singer told reporters in Ukraine on Saturday that Furnish has long wanted to adopt a child but that he was reluctant until he met Lev at an orphanage where many of the children's parents have died from AIDS.

"David always wanted to adopt a child and I always said 'no' because I am 62 and I think because of the traveling I do and the life I have, maybe it wouldn't be fair for the child," John said.

"But having seen Lev today, I would love to adopt him. I don't know how we do that but he has stolen my heart. And he has stolen David's heart and it would be wonderful if we can have a home. I've changed my mind today."

blog comments powered by Disqus