Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Gibbs to check on whether U.S. would send aid to Uganda if 'kill gays' bill passes



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

At the White House briefing today, Kerry Eleveld asked Robert Gibbs about the "kill the gays" bill. From the transcript:

Q Thanks, Robert. The New York Times and The Washington Post have both editorialized about a bill in Uganda that would impose a death penalty for certain acts of homosexuality. The New York Times suggested that the U.S. should stop funding to Uganda if the bill becomes law, as some other countries have already done. If the law passes in Uganda, will the administration continue to send foreign aid to a country that sanctions the murder of people who are gay?
I know there are all kinds of formalities when it comes to international relations, but Gibbs answer sure doesn't sound all that tough:
MR. GIBBS: I will check on, prospectively, in the event that something like that passes, I would say that that type of -- that type of legislation would certainly not live up to any record of universal rights and universal values that I think anybody would see in this country.
Um, yeah, we realize it wouldn't happen here. And, good to know he's going to check on it.

As press secretary to the President, Robert Gibbs always gives weak, squishy answers to LGBT-related questions. It's odd and annoying.

blog comments powered by Disqus