Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Does America believe Don’t Ask Don't Tell is over? It’s not



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

I was listening to Chris Matthews the other day while waiting on some of my other favorite shows on MSNBC. I'm not a huge fan of Matthews. His show is good for a laugh to see what passes for journalism these days. But, while hosting a live show in Philadelphia he had former Congressman Patrick Murphy on as a guest. He thanked Murphy for his contribution in ending "Don't Ask Don't Tell." There was no context, and from the crowd's reaction it made me believe that most of America truly believes "Don't Ask Don't Tell" is over. Transcript here:

C. MATTHEWS: I want to thank both of you for your service, Jim was a naval officer, you were a United States --

MURPHY: Army versus Navy.

MATTHEWS: Army versus Navy. And I want to thank you. I don‘t know what Jim‘s stance on this, but I want to thank you for what you did to get rid of “don‘t ask, don‘t tell.”

(CHEERS AND APPLAUSE)

C. MATTHEWS: Open service is a great thing. People should be allowed to serve their country if they are capable of performing the service of a soldier. I was there with you that night, I think that‘s going to be a big part of your career. Anyway, thank you.
Open service will be a great thing, once it's starts. The certification process is not over and people are still being discharged. I do think the media should get it right and report ending "Don't Ask Don't Tell" in proper context. Also, troops who simply want out of the military shouldn't be able to use their sexual orientation to accomplish that goal. If they want out then they should have to take an other than honorable or dishonorable discharge like anyone else. I'm not alleging this is what happened with the airman we've written about here, but too many of us fought for the right to serve, and were discharged simply for being gay or bisexual. To take advantage of using their sexual orientation at this pivotal point as an excuse to get out without any other extenuating circumstances is unacceptable.

And, the President and the Pentagon leaders really need to certify DADT. I'm with SLDN and SU on this. Let's get this thing over.

blog comments powered by Disqus