Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Maine trying kinder gentler ads for gay marriage battle



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

There's a rift in the community between those who feel these empathetic pro-marriage ads are too milquetoast, too lukewarm, too accepting of the voters' prejudices. I'm not so sure I agree. I enjoy in your face ads that call it bigotry, but I have no idea if ads like that work. I'm definitely intrigued by ads that show religious people saying they too had qualms about gay marriage, but then they thought about it, and thought about their gay friends, and realized it was the right thing to do. A lot of people think that's too wimpy, but I'm not sure it's such a bad idea meeting people halfway, acknowledging that a lot of people aren't sure about gays using the word "marriage," and addressing the issue head on. And in the end, I'd want to see data - focus group data - on what works, because I don't know that any of our opinions are even valid, as we're not exactly the target audience for the ads.

blog comments powered by Disqus