Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


NJ top gay rights official responds to GOP governor’s impending veto



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

As you know, the New Jersey legislature just passed marriage equality, but GOP Governor Christie says he'll veto it. Below is a statement from Steven Goldstein, the head of the big gay group in New Jersey. It's an interesting statement. Some felt it was too nice. Others felt that it actually was quite strong, just somewhat nuanced. I'd argue that to some degree the statement calls the governor a hypocrite and a panderer, though it's done with a polite tone. Is that really being nicer than outright calling him a bigot? At least a bigot is true to his convictions. It's sort of like comparing Rick Santorum and Mitt Romney - at least you can respect (albeit slightly) that Santorum is true to his bigotry.  Whereas Romney...

What do you think? Good nuanced statement, or too nice?

Statement of Garden State Equality Chair Steven Goldstein on Governor Christie's impending veto of the marriage equality bill:

As we await the Governor's veto of the marriage equality bill, I beg your indulgence if this statement is a bit more personal than usual. Many in Trenton know that Governor Christie and I have a good relationship. This may come as a surprise, and even disappointment, to some of Garden State Equality's members, but I like the Governor personally even though I agree with him on almost nothing.

I came of political age where leaders who disagree passionately on the issues, who even fight with one another like cats and dogs in the political arena, were able put the fights aside and see one another as people. I grew up at a time when the legendary Democratic Speaker of the U.S. House, Tip O?Neill - a hero of mine - and President Reagan did exactly that. And it's always been my philosophy in dealing with Governor Christie and his Administration.

And having worked for several public officials myself, I know there's a heck of lot more to them than their public images would suggest. No public figure is the two-dimensional character of the headlines. As Garden State Equality's leader, I have worked closely with this Governor on issues upon which we agree, notably to counter school bullying.

As I have said before, where we agree with them on the issues, Governor Christie and his Administration have treated us with warmth and responsiveness. Yes is yes, no is no, and we'll get back to you means they get back to you faster than you thought, usually with invaluable help.

And that's precisely why Governor Christie's veto of the marriage equality bill will hurt so badly. We're not naïve - we've always known he would veto the bill, and frankly, I was always a bit puzzled by the silly tea-leaf reading and phantasmagoric hopes that perhaps the Governor would look deep inside his heart and let the bill become law. Ridiculous. I know this Governor, and when he says he'll do something, take him at his word, for better and here for worse.

It's why I chose not to waste a breath in pleading with the Governor not to veto - and have put Garden State Equality immediately to work to achieve an override. The great news is, we have until the end of the legislative session, in January 2014, to do it.

That doesn't obviate the pain of the Governor's veto. Because I do know him, I also know he is not some anti-LGBT nut. He is no Rick Santorum. Frankly, I don't think Chris Christie has an anti-gay bone in his body, however much I cannot say the same about his impending veto. His veto will be a brutally anti-gay act, pure and simple.

The Governor keeps calling for a referendum, which everyone knows will never happen in New Jersey. To borrow the Governor's words, it's time for him to stop engaging in political theater. Our lives are not La Cage Aux Folles: LGBT people fall in love, raise families, often children whom the rest of society shuns, and pay taxes in what is still one of the most heavily taxed states in the country.

Our Governor knows our contributions to society. He won't veto the bill because he's anti-gay. He'll veto the bill because the 2016 South Carolina Republican Presidential primary electorate is anti-gay. And if I get flooded with letters now from Charleston, so be it.

And that's what hurts so badly. I like this Governor and am able to see him beyond the headlines. When you are rejected by someone you want so badly to love you unconditionally - my own parents have taught me what that's like - the pain is searing. Rick Santorum I can live with. Gerry Cardinale I can live with, too. But Chris Christie's rejection? That hurts.

Governor, rest assured that even though I came of political age in an era where political adversaries could be friends - and if you're game, we'll continue that good relationship - Garden State Equality and I will continue to fight you on marriage equality with every bone in our bodies. You would expect no less.

For us, this is not about politics. This is about our fundamental American right to conduct our lives with a full life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Equality.

And until we achieve it, we will fight with our every last breath. And we will win, so help me God.

blog comments powered by Disqus