Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Country music darling Carrie Underwood comes out for marriage equality



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Carrie Underwood, the American Idol turned country music superstar, announced in an interview with The Independent that she supports marriage equality.
"As a married person myself, I don't know what it's like to be told I can't marry somebody I love, and want to marry," she said. "I can't imagine how that must feel. I definitely think we should all have the right to love, and love publicly, the people that we want to love."
The performer, whose hits have included "Jesus Take the Wheel," cited her faith for supporting equal rights.
"Our church is gay friendly," she said. "Above all, God wanted us to love others. It's not about setting rules, or [saying] 'everyone has to be like me'. No. We're all different. That's what makes us special. We have to love each other and get on with each other. It's not up to me to judge anybody."
...In the interview, she condemned "people who use the Bible for hate", adding: "That's not how I would want myself as a Christian to be represented."
If you ask me, this is a pretty gutsy move for someone whose base is much more rural and red state.  I've always liked her, but this move makes me respect her too.

blog comments powered by Disqus