Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Zach Wahls, son of lesbian moms, speaks at Democratic Convention



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

He spoke at around 7pm, which was not a "bury it" time. And keep in mind that the Democrats gave Zach a spot at all, let alone during a good time, and the same evening the President is speaking. This is really quite amazing how visible gay rights has been during these convention speeches.

2012 Democratic National Convention: Remarks as Prepared for Delivery by Zach Wahls

/ADVANCE/ CHARLOTTE, Sept. 6, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is a copy of a speech, as prepared for delivery, by Zach Wahls at the Democratic National Convention on Thursday, September 6, 2012:

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120720/MM44058LOGO)

I'm a sixth-generation Iowan, an Eagle Scout, and I was raised by my two moms, Jackie and Terry.

People want to know what it's like having lesbian parents. I'll let you in on a secret: I'm awesome at putting the seat down. Otherwise, we're like any other family. We eat dinner, we go to church, we have chores. But some people don't see it that way. When I was 12, watching the 2004 Republican convention, I remember politicians talking about protecting marriage from families like mine.

Now, supporting a view of marriage as between a man and woman isn't radical. For many people, it's a matter of faith. We respect that. Watching that convention on TV, though I felt confused, frustrated. Why didn't they think my family was a real family?

Governor Romney says he's against same-sex marriage because every child deserves a mother and a father. I think every child deserves a family as loving and committed as mine. Because the sense of family comes from the commitment we make to each other to work through the hard times so we can enjoy the good ones. It comes from the love that binds us; that's what makes a family. Mr. Romney, my family is just as real as yours.

President Obama understands that. He supports my moms' marriage. President Obama put his political future on the line to do what was right. Without his leadership, we wouldn't be here. President Obama is fighting for our families... all of our families. He has our backs. We have his.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus