Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Anti-gay bigot congressman compares being gay to chocolate chip ice cream



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

Oh it's good.

When asked, “Should gay people change their behavior and not be gay?” [FL GOP Cong. Allen] West replied: “No. I like chocolate chip ice cream and I will continue to like chocolate chip ice cream. So there's no worry about me changing to vanilla. I like to, you know, ride my motorcycle. What do you want me to do? You want me to change my behavior and ride a scooter? I'm not into that.”
He then went on to trot out the race canard:
You cannot compare me and my race to a behavior. Sexuality is a behavior. And so yeah, I said I can't change my color. People can change their sexual behavior. And I've seen people do that. I grew up in Atlanta, Georgia, so I've seen a very different perspective on human behaviors. So that's where I'm coming from on that.”
Yeah we can. And you know why we can? Because Coretta Scott King compared race and sexual orientation. And if Martin Luther King's wife thinks they're in the same ballpark, then who am I, and who is Rep. West, to disagree with Coretta Scott King on a matter of civil rights.

And please do tell us more about growing up in Atlanta, Georgia, where apparently people change their sexual behaviors all the time.  I expect this one ought to be good.  (And while it's cute for Rep. West to suggest that gays can become celibate, that's not really the point.  We want equal rights, not celibacy.)

blog comments powered by Disqus