Join Email List | About Us | AMERICAblog News
More about: DADT | DOMA | ENDA | Immigration | Marriage | 2012 Elections


Lesbian couple crowned homecoming king and queen in CA



| Reddit | Tumblr | Digg | FARK

At first I thought "good."  Now I'm not entirely sure I get it.  First I read her statement about changing traditions, and that I didn't totally see as applicable here - it's not like the homecoming queen is a lesser position than homecoming king (at least I don't think so):

Arellano posted a statement to those who opposed her on her Facebook wall that read: "For all the girls who think tradition should be continued, go back to the kitchen, stop having sex before you're married, get out of school and job system, don't have an opinion, don't own any property, give up the right to marry who you love, don't vote, and allow your husband to do whatever he pleases to you. Think about the meaning of tradition when you use it in your argument against us."
Then she went on to say that she didn't think it was fair that they couldn't run as a couple. Now that's different. Having avoided homecoming like the plague (as a in the closet gay high school student, you tend to avoid opposite sex dances), I'm not 100% sure how it worked or works. But now that I think about it, the football captain and his cheerleader girlfriend did win one year I was there, I think. So if that's what often happens - if couples often run together on a ticket - then I can see their point.

blog comments powered by Disqus